If the idea of waxing make you cringe like Steve Carell in “The Forty Year Old Virgin”, try a few of these tips to help ease the pain.
- Stop shaving at between 2 to 3 weeks before you wax. Hair needs to be at least 1/4 inch which is the length of your lower eyelash. For your first waxing, 1/2 inch is recommended. If it is too short, the wax will yank the hair and not pull it out.
- Exfoliate before your first waxing to get the skin and hair conditioned for waxing. It also helps with ingrown hairs. If the hair is ingrown, it’ll break when waxed and either have to be tweezed out or waxed over again.
- Use something to dull the pain. Ibuprofen works well as well as some of the over the counter numbing agents such Numb-It.
- Avoid making an appointment when you are hungover, sleep deprived or overstressed. Waxing is uncomfortable enough on its own without being oversensitive from the above conditions.
- Breathe. Inhale right before the pull and exhale during. Remember, it will not be as bad as you think it will be.