So you’ve heard about brazilian waxing and have decided to take the plunge! What can you expect from your first waxing? Where did it come from? Brazilian waxing first came to the United States via New York and was brought here by 7 Brazilian born sisters.
Brazilian waxing is removing all hair from the pubic mound in the front to the anal area in the back and everything in between. Some may leave an optional landing strip which is some hair on the pubic mound. To this day brazilian waxing is a hot topic and is popular with all ages and socio economic groups.
Here’s What to Expect:
- The average brazilian wax takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes and is dependent on the type of hair you have and how much to it.
- Most waxings occur in a private room with a door and the person doing the waxing is a licensed esthetician. You will be asked to remove your underwear and all clothes from the waist down.
- Ideally, hair for the 1st time is a 1/2 inch long and if it is longer the waxer may trim it. You may get waxed if your hair is 1/4 inch long but that works better if your hair is fine. If your hair is too short, it is hard for the wax to grab and you will be left with some short hairs. If the waxer has to go over the area over and over again in order to grab those short hairs it is more uncomfortable for you.
- The waxer will gently sanitize the area or apply some powder or oil (everyone has their own technique). The waxer will dip a wooden stick into a warm pot of wax and spread it on the hair. A paper strip will then be applied, pressing firmly so that the strip, hair and wax adhere to one another. The strip will then be pulled off in the opposite direction of the hair growth pulling hairs out by the root. This can also be done with hard wax but the paper strip is eliminated and the wax which has hardened is pulled.
- The waxing should last for about 3 weeks, it may be shorter or longer. Most people who want the benefits of waxing, wax every 4 to 6 weeks. The first wax is the hardest because you have all of your hair; the 2nd time you wax 4 weeks later only some of your hair has grown back so it’s much easier. Choose an esthetician who has experience in brazilian waxing.