A Florida resident was recently awarded $15,000 in a lawsuit for a botched brazilian wax in which she had to receive six stitches to close the gaping wound in her labia. I personally know of a friend’s girlfriend who started to wax herself and ended up in the Emergency Room to get stitches as well. Avoid waxing yourself and do not under any circumstances have your friend or your mom do it.
Genitals are tender and should be treated with utmost respect. Just because an esthetician has gone to school and received a license does not mean that they know how to do brazilian waxing. Most schools don’t train their students to do brazilians.
Keep these tips in mind and do your research before you trust your privates to anyone:
- Does the esthetician have experience doing brazilian waxing? How much experience?
- You get what you pay for. People that are passionate about their craft are usually knowledgeable and experienced. With experience comes a cost; don’t bargain hunt when considering a brazilian wax.
- Check reviews. Has the esthetician been around for a long time? Do they have a web presence?
- What is their environment like? Is it clean and neat? Is it professional?
- Is the esthetician licensed? Do they display their license?
Most people spend more time researching a television purchase than a brazilian waxing. A person is going to apply hot wax to your genitals and then remove your hair in that area. Don’t take it lightly even though it appears to be mainstream. Do your research.