This is the time of the year that people who hate the gym think about going. Sweating is a good way to begin 2012. If you are going to join or are returning after a long hibernation, here are some things to consider:
- A gym is not designed to make you feel instantly better about yourself. If a gym wanted to make you feel instantly better about yourself, it would be a bar.
- No one in the history of gyms has ever lost a pound while reading “The New Yorker” and slowly pedaling a recumbent bicycle. No one.
- Don’t fall for gimmicks. The only tried and true method to lose 10 pounds in 48 hours is food poisoning.
- “Great job!” is trainer speak for “its not polite for me to laugh at you.”
- If you see an indoor rock climbing wall, you’re either in a really cool gym or a romantic comedy starring Kate Hudson.
- Everyone sees you secretly racing the old people in the pool.
- Don’t buy $150 sneakers, $100 yoga pants and $4 water. Muscle shirts are for people with muscles, and rhythm guitarists.
- Nope, that is not a “recovery energy bar with with antioxidant dark chocolate”. That’s a chocolate bar!
Source: Wall Street Journal