Many jobs today require people to sit at a desk the entire day. Unfortunately, human beings are not built to sit in one place for endless hours. When you sit for a long time, muscles burn less fat and blood flows slower. This leads to a slow metabolism, which in turn results in weight gain. Sitting in one place for too long has been linked to medical issues like: high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, increased insulin production (which can lead to diabetes), back pain and muscle breakdown, poor circulation in the legs (which can lead to swollen ankles), varicose veins, and blood clots.
Your health is of the utmost importance. Don’t let your job harm it.
Try these eight easy tips to get the circulation going and increase your metabolism:
1. If you are chained to your desk, alert your supervisor that every 30 minutes you are going to get up and stretch. You can still wear a headset or work on your computer when you do this.
2. Instead of sending coworkers emails, walk over to their desk and talk in person.
3. Avoid the co-worker’s desk with the endless candy bowl.
4. Avoid taking lunch at your desk. Even if you have only 30 minutes, make the effort to go to another location to eat and try to take a short walk around the parking lot.
6. If you must snack, stay away from the vending machines and bring in healthy snacks like raw carrots, celery, and fruit.
7. Schedule meetings in a conference room, not at your desk. It gives you a chance to walk somewhere.
8. Maintain good posture at your desk by sitting straight up and consider taking a yoga class.
Your health is of the utmost importance; don’t let your job harm it. Be proactive and make the best of your situation with these 8 easy tips to increase your metabolism in the office. You will be happy that you did.