Have you ever been in the nail salon with the doors closed and wondered if the fumes from the polish and the fake nails harm your health? Certain nail polish ingredients such as formaldehyde, toluene, and phthalates get a bad rap but actually have been proved to be hazardous only in cases of extreme exposure. Inhaled in large quantities, these chemicals have been known to cause respiratory problems, nausea and headaches but who is mostly at risk is the nail technician and the the factory workers who manufacture the polish. The trend is for the nail manufacturers to manufacture without these ingredients and that is good news for everyone.
To keep your manicure in tip top shape avoid doing these activities and you will spend less time in the salon:
- Minimize using hand sanitizers which contain alcohol and will erode the topcoat of your polish.
- Texting chips away at your polish.
- Folding laundry. When it comes out of the dryer, the heat softens and fades the color.
- Body scrubs slough off the top layer of your polish.
- Washing dishes without gloves makes nails peel.
Source: Allure Magazine, April 2012