How do you know if you need primer? Is it a must-do part of the beauty routine or is it just another faux item created by make-up companies to trick you into spending more money? Hmmmm.
After much research, followed by much thought, I’ve come to terms with the fact that…..I probably should be using primer! GAHHHHH! I’ve totally been skipping this step every morning because I’ve never been exactly sure WHAT it is and if it’s a product truly worth buying.
Come to find out, there’s several helpful roles primer can play IF you’re a candidate for adding it to your routine. Not everyone will find it useful or necessary depending on age, skin type, makeup brands, etc. It truly depends on you and the everyday look you’re going for!
First, let’s consider the purpose of primer. Within the list below, ask yourself if any of the bullet points would pertain to your overall goal in personal skincare and appearance.
PRIMER IS KNOWN TO:
- help your makeup last longer throughout the day
- stop your eyeshadow and foundation from creasing
- soften signs of aging (wrinkles/scars)
- even out skin tone (giving an overall clean, air brushed look)
- prevent foundation and other makeup from soaking into/irritating your skin
- protect skin from extreme and damaging weather conditions
- contain SPF to provide protection from the sun
OK! So with that being said:
WHY I SAY YES TO PRIMER? Top three reasons:
- I want my makeup to last longer! Yes, I have to spend money on purchasing the primer….but applying it before my foundation will actually SAVE money in the long run. Primer prior to foundation will assist in smoothly applying a lesser amount of product. AKA – saving money on foundation in the long run.
- To stop my eyeshadow and foundation from creasing. No matter if I’m at work, out on the town, or simply just walking around my apartment; I’m one energized and animated person! All that talking, smiling, eye rolling, and scowling takes a toll on the makeup applied, causing lines to appear. Bleh! Could I pull a Kim Kardashian and stop smiling to ensure I protect all the hard work I did while in the mirror? Probably not, so primer it is!
- Protect my skin from the sun. You’ll find that a lot of your favorite brands now have primers containing sunscreen. Yay! This means an additional layer of protection for US and a hard loss for those evil UVB rays.
WHY POSSIBLY SAY NO TO PRIMER:
- If you don’t wear a full face of makeup. One of the main functions of primer is to bond with foundation and eye shadow, giving it a smooth/air brushed appearance. If you don’t regularly wear heavy makeup, you may not find it necessary to add primer to your routine.
- If additional product irritates your skin. Although there’s plenty of brands out there to try, breaking out may not be worth the hassle. If you have a routine that works – that’s great! Stick with it.
- If you’re full of youth and/or not eager to hide fine lines and wrinkles. *rolling my eyes* Good for you…I guess.
See below for our favorite primers!
- A make-up primer, sunscreen and treatment for skin aging in one.
- Stimulates collagen production to increase skin firmness.
- Has a silky feel and provides a smooth surface for a “soft focus” effect.
- Brightens skin for a healthy look
- Infused with coconut water
- Nourishing ingredients: aloe vera, jojoba and shea
- Free of fragrances and dyes
- Water-based, fast-absorbing formula