2017. WHAT A YEAR. It was the year I discovered the best uses for coconut oil. Call me “late to they game” but, HEY! I’m from the Western-side of the World, where folks quickly turn to medication as a solution to solving their problems instead of natural remedies! How was I to know?
I mean, think about it! If you have a headache – take an Advil. Think you’re losing your mind? Get prescribed to Xanax. If you even THINK you’re going to get sick this winter – better go get your flu shot! Growing up in a society where you’re taught a pill can solve your problems has really set us back! If there’s a natural product that can gain the same result without ingesting something (modern medication) that doesn’t truly belong in your body – why not try it?
Until this year, I have NEVER suffered from severely dry skin – most certainly not on my noggin! Not sure what that’s all about – but I’ve found that melting raw coconut oil and leaving it on my scalp is very soothing! ALSO, it makes my hair soft, shiny, and strong. This is amazing news for someone on a budget. Feel free to head to my favorite store (Trader Joe’s) to pick up a jar for about $6! Not only does my scalp feel better – but my hair looks great.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- empty glass jar
- 2-3 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
- large syringe (not mandatory)
- Assuming the coconut oil is solid, melt it first by scooping 2-3 tablespoons into your glass jar. Personally, I like to set the jar in the sink and let hot water fill up around the outside of the jar until the raw oil starts to thaw. DO NOT BOIL. DO NOT MICROWAVE. ← These alternative methods for melting can deplete the oil of it’s natural, curing nutrients. To this mixture, I like to add about ⅓ a cup of water.
- On a damp head of hair, use the syringe to help evenly distribute the oily-liquid around scalp.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes to overnight. However long you want! (If leaving oil in overnight – add hair wrap or shower cap to the list)
- To finish, wash and condition your hair as normal! So easy!
After repeating this process a couple of times a week, my scalp is feeling relieved. What are your favorite uses for coconut oil? Head to our Facebook page to share your thoughts!