It happens every day. You’re out for a run or on your bicycle and an insect lands in your mouth. Besides the ick factor does it harm you? It depends. Generally not, but if you are allergic to that particular bug, it can be a problem. The most common allergy is to wasps or bees. An allergic reaction can cause you to break out in hives; have swelling in the face, throat or mouth; difficulty breathing; dizziness; a drop in blood pressure; and even cardiac arrest. If you know that you are allergic to bees and wasps and are doing any outdoor activity, make sure you carry your EpiPen to counteract the symptoms.
Most people get bit or stung during the summer months. I usually get bit by spiders because I’m in the garden moving dirt. The last time I was bitten by a critter part of my foot swelled and it lasted for 3 days. Swallowing a bug now and then probably won’t be a problem for most.
Other Situations Where You Can Encounter Bugs:
- Your pets can be a source of fleas. Eating fleas is a common way to get the double-pored dog tapeworm. Keep your pets free of fleas and other bugs by bringing them in for regular checkups at the vet.
- Dry goods in your cupboards can be a source of bugs. Ingesting beetles, even if they are dead, can transmit the dwarf tapeworm. Keep beetles out of your dry cereals, flour and grains and store them in airtight containers.
Some people believe that swallowing an occasional live bug adds to their protein intake. Good theory, but it won’t make a difference for the occasional bug. If you think they are a good source of protein, you are not alone; in some countries bugs are considered a delicacy. For the rest of us, it is advised to cook your bugs first before you eat them!
Source: Wall Street Journal